Thursday, 16 June 2016

Pamela's Daybook: June 16th

Today: This promises to be a good day! I'm meeting my friend, Eleanor, at Olive Garden for lunch. We have a lot to catch up on. Then I'm hanging with Emily and Emma this afternoon.

At my writing desk: More of the same! I have a couple hours before my fun begins, so I'll be getting started on curriculum editing.

Praying for:  Maddie Eaton: 
She is 21 years old, a nursing student, a manager at Dairy Queen, and an absolute joy to be around. Around 2 months ago, she was diagnosed with a 2.5 cm glioma, which is a cancerous brain tumor. It is slow-growing, and she is scheduled to have surgery to remove it today.

Thankful for: My friend, Janene. Today's her birthday. She's been like a little sister since she was 7-years-old. Our Sarah Janene was named after her. 

I'm reading:  Do you remember what Abram said to King Melchizedek when he wanted to give Abram spoils from the battle? 

As I read the story from Genesis, I thought about my daddy. Twenty years ago he was diagnosed with a rare kidney disease. All of the people with "natural" products came out of the woodwork -- each claiming to cure cancer. It was a bewildering time and Daddy decided to follow his doctor's plan. 

The doctor told Daddy there was a 95% chance of him having cancer. In true Daddy-fashion, he asked, "Does that mean there's a 5% chance I don't? The doctor said, "No, I'm sure you do." As his body turned yellow, we waited for his surgery.

We were in Pittsburgh for the seven-hour surgery. The doctor came out and apologized for the extra time the surgery took. He said, "When I started the surgery I was 95% sure he had cancer. Now I am 95% certain he doesn't." The surgery took extra time because he kept sending biopsies to the lab, convinced they were wrong. 

Daddy's response was, "I'm glad I didn't try any of the products pushed at me; this way there's no way anyone can get the credit but God. (Please don't get offended if you sell/use natural products. I use them, too.)

This was Abram's response: 

I will not take from a thread even to a shoelatchet, and that I will not take any thing that is thine, lest thou shouldest say, I have made Abram rich (Genesis 14:23).

Postmarking: The why of the ministry of Shelter: Postmarked: 

Is there any such thing as Christians cheering each other up? Do you love me enough to want to help me? Does it mean anything to you that we are brothers in the Lord, sharing the same Spirit? Are your hearts tender and sympathetic at all? Then make me truly happy by loving each other and agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, working together with one heart and mind and purpose (Philippians 2:1-2).

Favorite quote:  It is admirable for a man to take his son fishing, but there is a special place in heaven for the father who takes his daughter shopping. (My daddy did!)


  1. Olive Garden is my absolute favorite! I want to go now...haven't been in awhile!

  2. I hate hearing about this brain tumor :( hate it. My 2 year old nephew passed away from brain cancer. It's just so viscous :(

    PS Love that image. yay for strong souls!